By Isla Lamont, International New Writer
On the night of October 16, WikiLeaks has said Julian Assange had his internet access cut. The anti-secrecy group founder has been claiming asylum while living and working in London’s Ecuadorian embassy. He is currently evading being sent to Sweden for questioning regarding sexual molestation of two female WikiLeaks supporters.
WikiLeaks released a statement saying, “We can confirm Ecuador cut off Assange’s internet access Saturday, 5 pm GMT, shortly after publication of Clinton’s Goldman Sachs speechs (sic)” and “We have activated the appropriate contingency plans”.
The Ecuadorian government has not released a statement, but Foreign Minister Guillaume Long has confirmed that Assange remains under government protection.
According to Reuters, Ecuadorian president Rafael Correa is a strong believer in Assange’s right to free speech, although their sponsorship of the wanted journalist has caused strained relations with the United States. In 2011, the South American country expelled all US diplomats.
WikiLeaks had previously released the transcripts for Clinton’s paid speeches to Goldman Sachs, which it obtained through an ‘extensive breach’ of Clinton’s campaign chairman John Podesta’s email. In an interview with ITV in June, Assange said that he was planning to release more leaks concerning Presidential nominee Hillary Clinton. WikiLeaks is also responsible for the exposed 30,322 emails from Clinton’s private server.
Correa has endorsed Hillary Clinton for the 2016 U.S. elections, which many are claiming makes Assange’s internet cuts no coincidence.
WikiLeaks has also accused US Secretary of State John Kerry of asking Ecuador to stop releasing documents related to Hilary Clinton, according to BBC News. The US has denied all allegations. Clinton’s campaign team has claimed that the cyber-breach was the work of Russian hackers working to interrupt the US elections.
A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, October 25th print edition.
Contact Isla at